The inspiration for the orange pistachio cookies came from a 6 hour flight to Minneapolis from Alaska and watching the first episode of Holiday Baking Championship on the Food Network. The original recipe for this cookie was just a regular ice box cookie that has been in my family and passed down for years.
|Orange Pistachio Ice Box Cookies on vintage china|
Orange Pistachio Ice Box Cookies
Zest of two oranges
1 1/2 tsp of orange extract
2 C Shortening (butter or Crisco)
1 C Brown Sugar (Packed)
1 C Sugar
5 C Flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C chopped pistachios
1. Zest the oranges and set aside
2. Cream the shortening, sugars, and eggs until pale yellow color
3. Add in orange zest and extract
4. In separate bowl place the flour, salt, baking powder and mix lightly
5. Spoon the flour mixture and nuts into the wet ingredients.
6. Mix until they are combined.
7. Place on a sheet of aluminum foil forming a large roll.
8. Stick in the freezer for about 12 hours.
Before baking pull out of the freezer. Slice them to the thickness you like and bake at 350 until edges are golden brown.